Saturday, June 11, 2005

Denmark

Well. We've arrived safely in Denmark and are enjoying hte company with some of Daveøs relatives! The last night in the dorm was amazingly fire alarm free, but it was realy sad to say my final goodbyes to everyone who was left and stuff like that. I already miss all you guys heaps!!!!

Unfortunately last night, the third member of our travelling party, 'Sherlock' went missing. Luckily at about 2am, we found that he had a twin brother, so 'Patric' will now be appearing in the photos, keep an eye out for him when they go up (a little irish man (1.5 inches high) playing a flute), thanks for donating him Patri!

At the moment i'm writing this from an AMAZING little country house in Denmark, complete with Thatched roof and Barley fields across the road. I'll put some photos up on the website when I get a chance + but i've got no idea when that will be, because my computer is living at some family friends' until the summer, so I doubt i'll be able to post photos for a long time, but then i'll post a whole heap at once when I again have some stable internet on my own computer.

It's now 11.40pm, and i'm writing this having got up at 4 and on 2 hours sleep (as las chicas can confirm), so I'm going to be brief in the rundown of what we did today. I accidentally left my waterproof jacket in my room and realised when we were already on the tube platform in a MÅSSIVE rush to try and get the Stansted express. Long story short, I managed to race back and get it - i think the fastest that I have ever moved, and the man at the tube station even let me out and back in for free which was good of him.

We ended up making the train with about 15 minutes to spare which was good, and meant that we made the flight with plenty of time to spare as well. THe flight was fairly uneventful except us planning a bit of the trip (we're basically going train-city for a few hours-night train-city for a day-hostel-city for half a day-train etc), but it's nice to have at least a slight idea of whatøs going to happen come tuesday (we're going to Norway). Thus far, the only real confirmed plans are to be in Alicante, Spain for their festival on 23-25 July, and to climb Mt Stromboli, an active volcano in Italy, and go on the train up the Jungfrau in Switzerland.

We arrived in Aarhus (unfortunately pronounced Orhus, not Arse as i had hoped), and were met at the airport by Davø's cousin (I love this keyboærd!!), who took us into town and showed us aroudn for a few minutes before setting us free to hit the town ourselves. Theyøve got a great system where you can hire bikes for free (everything is nearly flat), you pay a 20 Kroner about$AU5 deposit into a machine attached to the bike,a nd you get it back when you chain the bike up again, which was really good for getting around town, as Gretha had given us a map as well. So we rode around for a while making some general mischief (photos to come) before heading to a supermarket to see what they sold over here. Dave nearly wet himself when he saw a massive section of pickled herring....as yet I canøt understand the appeal, but i'm trying it tomorrow i'm told, so I'll let you know.

After we got back, we had a fantastic dinner and Dave's other cousin Elna drove us to her house, about 45 mintues outside of town. Thatøs the amazing thatch cottage where i am at the moment. Earlier we took a walk down to a fjord, where the water was only abotu 6 inches deep, so you could see piles of rocks stretching all the way across to an island about 500m away (apparently they only have rocks naturally occuring in one place in Denmark -not there). Tomorrow night we're staying at Dave's Aunt and UNcle's place, which is apparently a pig farm with the best bacon I will ever taste - again I'll let you know.

Anyway, it's almost midnight here, so iøm going to sign off.

Keep smiling everyone - again apologies to those waiting for reply emails!!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home